11.06.2013

The Return

It's becoming a habit of mine - crying when I leave a wonderful vacation.  It happened again last week.  The tears can be deceptive, though, because I'm always happy to come home, even from the best vacations.  At the end of our week in Mexico, I was particularly excited to get back home for two reasons.

First, the day before we left for Mexico, a succulent that we've had for years suddenly produced a little strange looking bud.  I was dying to see what would become of it!  While we were away, I was a real dork about that bud, wondering if it was growing or changing and hoping that it would still be there when we returned.  As soon as we got home from the airport, I bee-lined it over to the plant and found an insane (and somewhat stinky) flower that bloomed from the little green bud.  I can't tell you how excited that flower made me.



Second, I was happy to be home so I could have my Barry-made birthday dinner.  He knocked it out of the park with rockfish in artichoke and tomato broth followed by chocolate cake with chocolate espresso frosting (he called my mom for the recipe on this requested birthday treat).

4 comments:

Bonnie said...

That is an amazing bud! What kind of plant is it, do you know? Glad to hear that you had a happy birthday!

Marissa said...

I'm catching up on my reading. Happy birthday, Suzy! I totally get what you mean - sometimes it's just good to be home though, right?! The plant and flower is very cool. Please come over and help my dying succulents!

Connie said...

Ok, that flower is insane!

Francie said...

That looks similar, but not exactly like my carrion cactus. It's blossom is similarly speckled and hairy, but it is shaped differently. I would guess that they are related.